Co-curricular Activities Meaning
The meaning of co-curricular activities revolves around its different feature and characteristics. For the overall development of a child, curriculum is not only the single criteria. The holistic growth as well as to develop the various facets of personality development of children; classroom teaching should be supplemented with co-curricular activities. These out of class activities affect all domains of life such as cognitive (intellectual), emotional, social, moral, cultural and aesthetic. Co-curricular activities meaning are more focused upon cognitive aspects thereby help in intellectual development. Competitiveness, excellence, quality achievements, creativeness and enthusiasm are few of the ethics of extra-curricular activities and also strengthen the meaning of co-curricular activities in school.
Importance of co-curricular activity in school curriculum has been widely acknowledged by many countries in their respective Curriculum Frameworks. The same case is also noticed with KEN Curriculum Development Board.
Co-curricular Activities Definition
The extracurricular activities definitions by leading modern educational thinkers and others are:
- “Activities sponsored or recognized by a school or college which are not part of the academic curriculum but are acknowledged to be an essential part of the life of an educational institution. Co-curricular activities include sports, school bands, student newspaper etc. They may also be classed as ‘Extracurricular’ i.e. activities carried on outside the regular course of study; activities outside the usual duties of a job, as extra class activities”- according to The International Dictionary of Education (1977).
- “Co-curricular activities were mainly organized after school hours and so were the extracurricular but they are not an integral part of the activities of the school as its curricular work”- according to Aggarwal (2000).
- “Co-curricular activities may be defined as the activities undertaken to strengthen the classroom learning as well as other activities both inside and outside the classroom to develop the personality of the child”- according to Bhatia (1996).
- “Various social and other types of activities like literary, dramatic, social services etc. which attracted the attention of the child were considered as extracurricular activities. Extracurricular activities have been renamed by educationists as co curricular, which implies that all these activities are a part of school curriculum”.- according to Mittal (1999).
Co-curricular Activities Features
There are many characteristics of co-curricular activities, which directly or indirectly help the classroom teaching of students. Co-curricular activities supplement and complement the entire teaching-learning process and effectively impact student earning outcomes. It strengthens the classroom teaching and helps to clear the concept of topics. Extra-curricular activities give emphasize upon aesthetic as well as spiritual development, which are the essential components of education. It helps in developing features like speech fluency and extempore. Such activities are good platform to excel in acting, speaking, and recitation.
Role of Co-curricular Activity in Student
To realize the all-round development of student, curricula should be amalgamated with co-curricular or extra-curricular activities. Co-curricular activities help in realization of aims and objectives of education. In the practical life, the students able to express their ideas freely due to active participation in debate and extempore. Discussion also helps in generating ideas and inculcating values. Games and Sports make them mentally and physically fit and sound. Games make them learn how to perform while losing or wining an event. Sometimes, classroom teaching becomes monotonous and routine. Here, co-curricular activities can bring pleasant and joyous experiences. Thus, co-curricular activity has many advantages in student’s life of school, college and university.
Difference between Curricular and Co-curricular Activities
- Curricular is formal in nature while co-curricular activities is informal.
- Curricula involves classroom teaching, instructional education, examination, evaluation while co-curricular activities encompass, gardening, mass drill, community work, games , etc.
- Curricula comprises reading books, going through newspapers and journals, on the other hand extra-curricular activities known for telling stories, acting, doing theatrical work, etc.
- In curricular education, students spent their time in laboratory, workshop, or doing important assignments for class work. But in case of extra-curricular activities, students perform work such as cleaning road & school, gardening, painting, creative art and so on.
- In curricular mode of education, students formally read about different festivals, ceremonies and celebrations while in co-curricular activities, the children actively participate physically in these functions.
- However, the vital difference between curricular and co-curricular activities is that the latter helps to supplement and complement the curricular teaching.
Co-curricular Activities Help Students
There are question which generally raised by students, parents, teachers and schools how co-curricular activities help in education There is a synergy between school education and extra-curricular activities. In fact, the very concept of co-curricular activities genuinely strengthens the base of curriculum. These activities enable children to share their emotions and strengthen the bond of friendship. In extra-curricular activities, creative works are given more importance, which facilitate skills and ideas of children. Adolescent stage is a period of turmoil and restless, where energy of children has to be tapped before its use in unproductive work. These are the activities which motivate students for learning and make their lesson enjoying.
Co-curricular Activities Importance
Education along with co-curricular activities helps in the overall development of personality. Co-curricular Activities furnish many values among students. It is depend upon students and teachers how they imbibing these values for the better education and health of students. Students participate in physical activities, which contribute towards physical health, vitality, and endurance of the students. Psychological needs are meet by co-curricular activities. Psychological needs such as emotions, self-assertion, and curiosity are trained and groomed by these activities. A large part of theoretical works in discipline like geography, and science can get value added from excursions, tour and nature study. Extra-curricular activities help to inculcate civic and democratic values by participating in self-government and organizing different festivals and ceremonies. Co-curricular activity is also an effective platform to make absorb values like social, aesthetic, cultural, recreational and disciplinary among students.
Co curricular Activity Principles
For the better benefits of co-curricular activities, certain principles and rules have to be followed to have more and more advantage of extra-curricular activities. Initially, smaller forms of such activities have to be performed and gradually move towards the larger one. Those activities should be promoted, which are curricular related and educationally relevant. Activities like creativity, writing, poetry, painting and discussion will help to understand the lessons well. The teacher or the administration should encourage students so that more and more of them can participate in the activities by arranging the same during school hours. The role of teacher should be just like as an advisor. These activities should be executed in a democratic manner and all the students should be given opportunity to lead their respective teams. Regularity, program schedule and necessary tools should be arranged and maintained to give it a proper direction.
Top 10 advantages of Co-curricular Activity
- Co-curricular activities make a horizon for systematic and meaningful learning opportunities and prepare students for future.
- Co-curricular activities makes you active and energetic thereby help in learning and enable to develop multiple skills to students.
- Co-curricular activities help in holistic development of the personality.
- Co-curricular activity along with formal education helps to channelize the hidden potential of the students and make you a good citizen.
- Domains like social, academic, intellectual, cultural, democratic, civic and aesthetic get enriched after participation in co-curricular activities.
- Students, who are good in sports, also have good academic record.
- Co-curricular activities help in realizing the importance of education and develop the spirit of healthy competition.
- Co-curricular activities support students practically and professionally for a better future.
- Co-curricular activities enhances students experience, understanding and brings benefits beyond students and parents expectation.
- It is a good source of remaining fit and healthy, and provides you a mental rest.
Our Co-Curricular Activities
Generally in schools, where the importance of co-curricular activities cannot be ignored. The academic board of KEN after a deep study and research on importance of Co-Curricular Activities has designed its academic program in such a way, where every student will be given the opportunity to participate at least in a activity of his/her interest.
Here is a primary list of our Co-curricular Activities:
- Simple story writing
- Speech Programs
- Poem Competitions